Pet Exams in Westfield & Carmel, IN
Your pet wellness care depends on a lot of things both in and out of our Carmel animal hospital. To help your pet live their best life, our vets believe you are an essential part of that plan. While we always do what we can to give your pet the best care when they’re visiting us, it’s up to you to continue that care at home. At preventive care pet exams, we’ll not only treat your pet for any presenting issues, but we’ll teach you all about it too. Call us at (317) 218-3142 to schedule an appointment!
Thirty Minute Exams and Not a Minute Less
Too many times, pets have been rushed through exams due to time constraints and over-booking. Not at our animal hospital. We are determined to offer thirty minutes for each and every exam. Your pet deserves the best, and to best understand their condition, we need time. So, you can count on having our full and complete attention for half an hour—each and every time.
What We Cover During Routine Pet Exams
Pet health is multifaceted. It involves the nose to the tail and everything in between. A routine exam includes a thorough physical examination, standard diagnostic bloodwork and also a fecal test to check for intestinal parasites. Additionally, we typically perform a heartworm test on dogs since symptoms can be subtle and go unnoticed until the infection is much worse. Meanwhile, for cats, we can test for both feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) to ensure your new cat comes to you as healthy as can be.
At our routine pet exams, our veterinarians will also discuss the following topics with you as well as explain why they’re important:
- Nutrition. Wellness thrives on a good diet. What your pet eats matters. Just because they might beg for every scrap doesn’t mean you should give it to them! They don’t always know what’s good for them, so we’ll talk to you about the best diet for your dog or cat.
- Dental health. Your pet’s oral health is a determining factor in their overall wellness. Without regular dental cleanings (both professionally and at home), dental disease can cause a whole range of more serious problems.
- Vaccinations. Without a doubt, vaccines are essential to your pet’s health and longevity. They provide protection from dangerous, infectious diseases.
- Heartworm and pest prevention. Parasites and insects aren’t just annoying—they’re downright dangerous. Some cause serious skin problems while others carry deadly diseases. Prevention helps keep them all at bay, while regular testing for parasites helps us make sure those preventatives are effective.
- Senior care. Senior pets have a unique set of needs due to the vulnerabilities of older age. Diagnostic screenings are the best defense against potential health issues that can develop quickly in older pets. Furthermore, chronic conditions can be better treated if caught early.
- Behavior. If your pet presents with behavioral problems, we’ll be able to talk to you about possible causes, remedies, or recommend further training or counselling outside of our practice. You and your pet’s bond depends on good mental health on both sides, so it’s important to make sure they’re mentally fit.
Ready to Book Your Appointment?
We're ready to see you! You can request an appointment online here or give our animal hospital a call at (317) 218-3142 to set it up over the phone. As always, we appreciate you stopping in, too, so don't be a stranger! We look forward to seeing you soon.
I was so happy to see Dr Ross Clayton again. He is just the best vet ever. This new practice is wonderful. He always knows what I am going to ask and explains things so well."
The Clayton's are a family that truly care about your pet as if they were their own. I highly recommend you check them out"
Dr. Ross Clayton is the most caring, knowledgeable vet we could have asked for! He has taken amazing care of our dogs since 2003!"
Dr. Clayton has been caring for my family's dogs for many years with exceptional knowledge, care and compassion. He's shown time and again his willingness to explore the best options for keeping our loved ones healthy and vital."
We love Dr. Clayton! We’ve been through a lot together! Our family has had as many as 3 labs at once. We’ve had them as puppies and seniors. We lost our oldest recently and Dr. Clayton helped us through it. He’s caring and knowledgeable. We HIGHLY recommend him!"
The precise genuine care for our pets and our family as a whole sets Dr. Ross Clayton and his wife Dr. Anne Clayton apart. We appreciate their attention to detail and prompt assistance. We have had the gentle care from this family for many many years. They have shared our enthusiasm as we brought home new puppies and through the end of the life of our beloved seniors. We can’t wait for the grand opening! Best wishes Clayton Family Veterinary Care!"